What to do next?
V55/5 Information
Series 4 Register
BLA Membership
IGM & DGM Info
Frame Numbers Pt 1
Frame Numbers Pt 2
Frame Numbers Pt 3
Frame Numbers Pt 4
Italian Frame Info
Spanish Frame Info
Spanish Paint Info
Indian Frame Info
Italian Paint Codes
Info Corner Series 1
Info Corner Series 2
Info Corner Series 3
Info Corner J & Luna
A-Z Pub Challenge
The Mantis
Dealers & Links
Lambretta in print
Lambretta in Taiwan
Lambretta Clubs
Site Map



Firstly, please check that the information on your authentication letter is correct. You have 14 days in which to check this, after that period if the information is wrong you will need to apply for another letter. Whilst we accept that we make mistakes on occasion, we'd like you to check we've got it right as soon as possible.


So what do you need to do next?

Firstly you need to ensure that your scooter is MOT'd and insured and that you have completed a NOVA application (this can be done online on the HM Customs & Excise website: http://www.hmrc.gov.uk). 


Ensure that the information you supply for your NOVA matches that on your date certificate. Anomalies/differences between the two may see DVLA rejecting your application.


Note: If your scooter was manufactured or registered 40 years ago and has not been SUBSTANTIALLY CHANGED in the last 30 years then you do not need an MOT. Please check on the following for more detail: https://www.gov.uk/government/news/mot-changes-20-may-2018


MOT: you can ride your scooter to the MOT without any tax or registration plate as long as the scooter is insured and you have booked the test with the MOT Testing Station. This is allowed, as there is an exemption from having tax/registration plates for this purpose under the Road Traffic Act 1988. Bear in mind that this exemption only applies if the MOT test is booked.


When applying for your registation plate, if you don't need to have an MOT due to the scooters age you will need to supply form V112 which can be downloaded from the DVLA website.


INSURANCE: please note that you DO NOT need to show that your scooter is insured in order to apply for a registration plate.


If you do decide to get your scooter insured prior to getting a registation plate You can insure your scooter with any number of companies, i.e. Carole Nash, Bennets, MC Edwards etc - you can find numbers for these companies in publications such as Scootering & Classic & Modern Scootering Scene. The insurance company can insure your scooter on the frame number. Once it has been registered with the DVLA you will be able to inform your insurance company of the scooters new registration number in order for them to amend their records.


Once your scooter is MOT'd & Insured


You must fill in form V55/5 – available from the DVLA and again available to download from their website


Along with the V55/5 you will need to send one document from 2 lists. You need to send one original (not copy) from the following. The lists are:


  1. Confirmation of your name: driving licence, passport, marriage certificate, decree nisi or decree absolute, birth certificate.
  2. Confirmation of your address: recent utility (within last 3 months), recent bank/building society statement, medical card, council tax bill for current year.


You will also need to send supporting documentation which is as follows:


-  registration fee of £55, current MOT certificate (if required), evidence of type approval (if needed), and the cost of vehicle tax (You don’t have to pay vehicle tax on vehicles made before 1 January 1980 (known as ‘historic vehicles’)



DVLA might need to inspect your vehicle – they will let you know if they do. If your application is approved, they will send you a Vehicle Registration Certificate (V5C), they will also send you the vehicle tax disc and your identity documents.